A Doula’s Presence At Birth…
There is strong evidence to suggest that women
supported by a doula during labour experience:
50% reduction in caesarean births
25% shorter first time labour by about 2 hours
30% less medication for pain relief
60% reduction in requests for epidural
40% reduction in forceps delivery
Helps fathers participate with confidence
Increased breastfeeding success
Greater overall satisfaction
Source: Mothering the Mother: by Marshall H. Klaus
(Perseus Press, 1999)
The word “doula” comes from the ancient Greek meaning “a woman who serves” and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced woman who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during, and after birth.
As a Postnatal Doula I provide:
- Free initial consultation
- Care and support of the mother, including information on physical
and emotional recovery after birth
- Birth de-briefing
- Breastfeeding and or bottle feeding support and resources
- Help with your baby such as comforting, bathing, nappy changing
- Guidance and resources on newborn care
- Cooking meals (or picking up a take-away!)
- Household duties
- Short errands, such as groceries, pharmacy, or post office
- Night support - allowing you to get some much needed sleep
- Sibling care
- Referrals for local parenting resources
As your Birth Doula I provide:
- Free initial consultation
- 2 pre-natal visits
- Help with creating a birth plan
- unlimited phone and email contact
- continual support for you and your partner through out the birth
- use of reflexology, acupressure points and massage for pain relief
and to encourage labour along (good for induction if overdue).
- 2 post-natal home visits, additional visits may be available upon request
- I’m on call 24/7 for your birth from 38 weeks gestation.
My aim as a doula is to support new parents through a life-changing experience, one which they are sure to remember for the rest of their lives. I’m passionate about
helping women have an empowering and positive birth. As a doula I believe a consistent, calm and reassuring presence during labour and birth makes all the difference to the mother’s birth experience.
I will support you to make informed choices, to trust your instincts, listen to your body and trust that the baby knows how to birth, which will help you to relax and surrender
to the process.
I had an extremely positive birth experience with my son, and this is what compelled
me to want to help other women through their birthing experience. I have been practicing as a doula since 2008 and have attended many births in a variety of situations.
I cover all areas in central Bristol and am happy to travel to surrounding areas.
Birth Doula: £900
This can vary depending on your circumstances and requirements. Please for further details.
Postnatal Doula: £20 per hour